Welcome to Dwarf Fortress – How to Build small animal trap and Aquarium.
This guide includes such as:
- Catching a live fish
- Concept of Gla*s Furnace
- Placement and designation of an Aquarium
The general flowthrough
1. We use wood to make charcoal.
1.1 We use this charcoal to make a green gla*s terrarium.
2. We make small animal trap
2.1 We capture small animal species from the Fishery Workshop
2.2 We have a fisherdwarf who catches water vermin
3. We click on terrarium and set it to be used as an aquarium.
3.1 A dwarf will come and fill it up with water using a bucket.
3.2 After a dwarf has caught a water creature, click on the aquarium and click on a creature.
3.3 The creature is a*signed in that particular fish tank aka aquarium
That is the general layout. Further pages will explain the above in much detail with pictures step by step.
Making a small animal trap
A small animal trap can be made at :
Or at Metalsmith under furniture tab:
The trap in progress look like this :
It would be safe to say it needs one bar of metal and fuel (charcoal / coke / magma @magma forges)
Here is a prepared copper animal trap:
Now we have prepared a small animal trap. Let us make a terrarium next!
Making a gla*s terrarium
We prepare fuel at a wood furnace using the command : make charcoal
We can prepare coke from lignite / bituminous coal using the command :
make coke from bituminous coal or
make coke from lignite or
any other manner possible.
Having said that we have coke / charcoal prepared for using at a gla*s furnace!
at the gla*s furnace you use the following command :
We need a bag to carry sand, a bag can be made from leather, silk or cloth, all three are mostly available but for new players I will tell about pigtail:
- Have a pigtail farm
- Process plants when pigtails are harvested
- When cloth is produced and kept in a cloth stockpile, go to the clothier workshop
- EDIT – I : At a farmers workshop we have process plants, it gives back pigtail seeds and give pigtail thread/cloth thread
- Normally at a loom all thread is auto processed to cloth piece. At the loom we give the weave cloth to command.
- Using leather, we can make a ” make leather bag as well. Just kill those excess dogs/cats/chickens or whatever you wish to reduce clutter, it works for leather obtaining. It is obtained from ” make leather bag ” at a leather worskshop beside clothier/loom/dyer in cloth build section.
- There we select make a cloth bag
Alright, so now we have a bag, now use the collect sand command.
upon doing so, you get this item :
Go to the gla*s furnace now and select the make green gla*s option or just search it like this :
now they will make it!
This is how it looks like :
so now we have a green gla*s for making fish tank.
Edit – II Concept of Gla*s Furnace
EDIT – II
This is specifically an advanced and a different page, but as per the suggestion I will explain the gla*s-maker workshop as a small subsection
- You firstly need rock crystal
- Then you need to have pearlash produced as mentioned above
- The rock crystal and pearlash can be combined to produce crystal gla*s items but again rock crystals are quite hard to obtain.
- Make Crystal gla*s :
- Make charcoal at wood furnace,
- The charcoal is converted to potash at an ashery
- Then to make pearlash at a Kiln/Magma kiln from ash
- At a gla*s furnace, they will use pearlash and any fuel to produce clear gla*s
Catching a live fish
Now we go to the fishery part
1. You make a fishery
2. You have a fisher dwarf ( a dwarf can be selected in labour tab and tick marked for fishing)
3. The fishing labour should be permitted ( nobody does this under fishing labour is not the be active)
4. Go to the fishery and select this: Catch live fish
It will be like this:
It is also advised to have a river or an ocean or underwater ( SAFE ) water body so that at least pond turtles and as such can be caught at the least. A fishing zone is placed like this :
Now a dwarf will catch fish in the trap, while that is being done, let us place a terrarium!
Oh look a dwarf is catching fishy!
Look he caught this!
A live squid!
Placement and designation of an Aquarium
A terrarium comes under : Placement -> Cages/Restraints -> Cages
Place a Gla*s terrarium like this :
Now let us set it to a fish tank, just saying but if you want, you can place a dog or a rabbit or a cat in it if you want normally, it is like a cage in the first place…
Now set it to aquarium
Now select the sea creature:
There we have it!
A live squid in a fish tank!
Multiple fishes / water creatures can be a*signed by multiple selection. For now this will do, Good luck have fun ! may you catch much rarer stuff!
I hope you enjoy the Guide we share about Dwarf Fortress – How to Build small animal trap and Aquarium; if you think we forget to add or we should add more information, please let us know via commenting below! See you soon!
- All Dwarf Fortress Posts List
Leave a Reply