Credit to Pancakes11 on Steam for finding out how to do this, Raptorboy556 for finding the location of the CD key for some systems, and The Snazzmaster for documenting a confirmed test.
Just a note: This guide is about registering a new spore account; an ongoing problem since Feb 2021, and not about connecting to the Spore servers. This guide is for users who bought the game on Steam, I’m not sure if it works for Origin users. Spore servers as of writing this are still up and running fine, and players are still able to log in.
The Account Registry Problem
As many will know, Registering a new spore account this year is next to impossible given the fact that buying a copy of Spore off steam does not give a CD key, and the Origin copy of spore does not allow new users to register half the time. Even having EA support give you a new copy of Spore did not work. (As of the time of writing this, over 800+ confirmed players have not been able to register an account since February 2021 and could only stare at the words “Unknown Error during Registration”. The only way to register was to buy a new copy off of GOG (good old games) or buy Spore Creature Creator off origin for 10 dollars, neither of which was fair.
However, there is now a solution, while rather tedious, it has been tested and works and can be confirmed by 3 new players. (This was discovered today)
The Snazzmaster’s new spore account, registered and created through this guide on 9/13/2021:
http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/TheSnazzmaster – [spore.com]
Finding your Spore CD key
Make sure you have Spore installed, having the Steam version is preferable.
First off, you must find your CD key for Spore. CD Key’s were removed from Spore on Steam, but as it turns out you still have a CD Key, it is just hidden in the files for the game and you must use the Registry Editor (already on your computer) to find it:
1. Hit the Windows Key and the R key at the same time to open the Run Window. Type “regedit” and then hit Enter or click “Ok”.
2. A prompt will come up, give administrator privileges.
3. Now you should be viewing the Registry Editor with a list of folders on the left. There are a few locations where your Spore CD key can be:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node (64-bit only)
Exact Location for some users: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\electronic arts\ea games\spore(tm)\ergc
4. Look for the ‘Electronic Arts’ folder in whichever location you chose, it may also be in lowercase, though this rare.
5. Open the ‘Electronic’ Arts folder, and you’ll see two “SPORE” folders: “Spore” and “Spore_EP1”.
The CD key for some users was in “Spore_EP1”
6. Find the CD key which is titled “ProductKey” under “Data”. It should be a 20 character code.
Redeeming the Key on Origin
Now its time to redeem on Origin, as EA still has Spore locked out of redeeming through Steam due to the server change back in 2016. Don’t worry, you dont have to install the game on Origin.
1. Go to Origin, whether that be the app or the browser, and at the top right of your Game Library page you should see “Add Game”.
2. Click “Add Game” and enter the code. It will ask you what version of Spore you want (I would personally choose the one with more languages under it just for convenience)
3. You now should have Spore on your Origin account, and yes, even if an EA Support Official gave you a free copy of Spore on your account earlier, your copy should redeem no problem.
NOTE: You DO NOT have to install Spore on Origin. The copy you have on Steam will work if you have an Origin account. Linking your Origin and Steam accounts also may help
Registering a New Account on Steam
You now have the capability to register an account without dealing with “Unknown Error during Registration”. You don’t have to install on Origin, or even uninstall your Steam version.
1. Run Spore on Steam
2. Once you are greeted with the Account Registration page; (you should be familiar with this by now), enter your Origin account information and then a Spore username and hit register. If you did all the steps correctly, this should register a new Spore account!
Special thanks once again to everyone who made this possible:
- Pancakes11 for finding this solution and writing the initial instructions
- The Snazzmaster for documenting the process and confirming it works, as he was able to register a new account
- Raptorboy556 for finding an exact file location for his CD Key as it is in different locations on other systems
- Kyle_Necrowolf on EA’s Answers HQ, who first made a massive thread documenting this issue and even trying to develop a mod to help users register an account. He has been working hard to fix this issue since February and helps out users on the forums.
EA Answers Threads on this bug:
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bugs-Technical-Issues/Steam-users-unable-to-create-Spore-account-or-redeem-game-on/td-p/10069057/highlight/true – [answers.ea.com]
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bugs-Technical-Issues/Can-t-register-account-in-game/td-p/10426533 – [answers.ea.com]
Hope you enjoy the Guide about Spore – How to Register New Spore Account in Game Guide, if you think we should add extra information or forget something, please let us know via comment below, and we will do our best to fix or update as soon as possible!
- All Spore Posts List