“Your current macOS version is unable to run 32-bit games. This game may not run.”
…except it WILL run, if you do a little legwork! This guide tells you how. It’s not hard!
Why the game won’t currently (Sep 19, 2021) run on 64-bit macOS
By replacing this bundled nwjs with a new version of nwjs, we can make the game work on our fancy new Big Sur M1 goodness. (Intel too!)
Fixing the app for 64-bit macOS
Here’s how to get this game working on 64-bit macOS, including Big Sur (tested working on Intel and M1 Macs). This guide requires familiarity with the command line, so get Terminal.app or your favourite alternative terminal program handy.
1) Install nwjs (https://nwjs.io/) –  . If you already have homebrew installed, just go “brew install nwjs”; it will end up in /Applications/nwjs.app.
2) Change directory into the Contents dir within your local copy of the app.
cd ~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/steamapps/common/HiraganaBattle/HiraganaBattle.app/Contents - 
3) Move the “Frameworks” and “MacOS” directories out of the way.
mv Frameworks Frameworks.orig ; mv MacOS MacOS.orig
4) Copy over the newly installed copy of nwjs.
mkdir MacOS ; cp -pv /Applications/nwjs.app/Contents/MacOS/nwjs -  MacOS
5) Copy over the old Frameworks dir, but replace the main nwjs Framework with the new version.
cp -pRv Frameworks.orig Frameworks ; rm -rf Frameworks/nwjs\ Framework.framework ; cp -pRv /Applications/nwjs.app/Contents/Frameworks/nwjs/ -  Framework.framework Frameworks/
At this point, the game should work, but SAVING WILL BE BROKEN. As in, completely broken. To fix this:
6) Edit ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/HiraganaBattle/HiraganaBattle.app/Contents/Resources/app.nw/js/rpg_managers.js ; search for the line that begins:
var path = window.location.pathname.replace
On that line, change the text “/save/” to a full path, e.g.:
/Users/tinker/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/HiraganaBattle/HiraganaBattle.app/Contents/Resources/app.nw/save/ - 
7) mkdir the directory from above, e.g.:
mkdir "/Users/tinker/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/HiraganaBattle/HiraganaBattle.app/Contents/Resources/app.nw/save/" - 
8) Try running the game again from Steam! It should work.
This is all about Learn Japanese To Survive – Hiragana Battle – How to Fix Compatibility with 64-bit MacOS Guide; I hope you enjoy reading the Guide! If you feel like we should add more information or we forget/mistake, please let us know via commenting below, and thanks! See you soon!
- All Learn Japanese To Survive - Hiragana Battle Posts List